Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lightened Up Alfredo


 Who doesn't love a good creamy alfredo? I know I do, but it's something I haven't cooked since I first started my healthy lifestyle years ago. With traditional alfredo being loaded with fat & extremely high in calories I knew it wasn't something I was actually going to make. In all honesty, I don't even think my stomach could handle that amount of fat anymore. So a few months ago I started tinkering with a lightened up version and I'm very happy with the results! I think you'll love this!



2 Tablespoons Butter
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
4 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
2 Cups Fat Free Milk
1 Cup Fat Free Chicken Broth
3/4 Cups Parmesan Cheese
1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
1 Cup of Frozen Pea's (you can add any vegetable you want, I also like broccoli, mushrooms or spinach)
Salt & White Pepper to Taste

1. Cook pasta per package directions.

2. In a saucepan melt the butter on medium heat & sauté the minced garlic until lightly browned.

3. In a large mixing cup or small bowl mix the milk & chicken broth then whisk in the flour until smooth. When the garlic is lightly browned, whisk in the liquid mixture. Bring to a simmer & let cook 5 minutes or until thick. Stir in parmesan cheese, parsley & pea's then let simmer a minute more. Salt & Pepper to taste. If sauce is too thick add pasta water a tablespoon at a time until thinned to your preference.

4. Add drained pasta to sauce & toss to coat. At this point I also toss in cooked & diced chicken. Or if I'm using spinach this is where I would gently mix in raw baby spinach.



Enjoy! :)

1 comment: