Monday, August 4, 2014

Lemon Parmesan Chickpea Salad



  As some of you might know, chickpea's are boasted as today's superfood. These legumes are high in fiber, protein & antioxidants while being low in fat & gluten free. It's a food vegetarians & vegans are all too familiar with, but something meat eater might not have tried. With current studies showing a daily dose of these babies can improve bad cholesterol and aid in weight loss it really can't hurt to add them to your weekly diet. There are many ways to incorporate chickpea's into your meals. I personally love to use them in my meatless monday meals to help keep me fuller longer & give my body a healthy dose of protein & fiber. For a few mild idea's you can throw them in salads and soups or roast them up for a crunchy snack. Or, and I'll be losing the carnivores here, you can even use them to make cookies & "burgers". :)

  My lemon parmesan chickpea salad recipe can easily be thrown together in a pinch for a last minute meal or made ahead for tomorrow's lunch. I love to mix this up & throw these in with a mixed greens salad or just simply eat them as is. I actually use the leftover as something to snack on the next day. :)



1 Can of Chickpea's or 1 1/2 Cups of Cooked Chickpea's - Drained
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/3 Cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon sauteed' minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste

  Lightly sauté' the garlic in 1 tbs of olive oil, when lightly browned add to a small mixing bowl
Drain your chickpea's and add to the garlic, then add the remaining ingredients, adding the lemon last. Adding 1 tablespoon at a time and taste testing after. I like 2 tablespoons, but you might feel differently. Better safe then sorry. :) I let this sit for a 1/2 hour before serving to let the flavors mingle.



 Serve as is or toss in with mixed greens.





No comments:

Post a Comment